Stagecoach drives ahead on UK Bus Awards shortlist
14 Sep 2011
- Fifth consecutive year that Stagecoach has achieved most finalists
- 23 nominations in total for Perth-based transport group
- Four Stagecoach companies shortlisted for ‘UK Bus Operator of the Year’
Stagecoach is leading the way with the highest number of shortlisted nominations at the UK Bus Awards for the fifth consecutive year.
The Perth-based transport group has 23 shortlisted entries in the competition’s 21 categories this year, with four Stagecoach companies in line to be named Britain’s best bus operator at the London awards ceremony to be held in November.
Stagecoach South, Stagecoach East Midlands and Stagecoach West are shortlisted for the Top Shire Operator Award, while Stagecoach Manchester is a finalist in the Top City Operator category. All four companies are also in the running for the prestigious UK Bus Operator of the Year Award.
In addition, three Stagecoach services – Stagecoach East’s X5 service, Stagecoach East Scotland’s Fife Express City Connect and Stagecoach in Oxfordshire’s Oxford Tube service – have been named as finalists in the Express Operation of the Year category.
Stagecoach Group is shortlisted for the Environment Award for its Sustainability Strategy, along with Stagecoach in Oxfordshire which is nominated for the introduction of electric-hybrid buses in Oxford. Stagecoach is also a finalist in the Innovation Award category for the launch of smart ticketing on buses across the UK.
Two Stagecoach bus depots – Torbay at Stagecoach South West and Kilmarnock at Stagecoach West Scotland – have been named as finalists in the Top National Bus Depot Award. In addition, two Stagecoach employees – East Scotland, Bluebird and Highland Marketing Manager Sarah Anderson and Bluebird Operations Manager Graeme Leslie – are in the running for the Young Manager of the Year Award.
In the Marketing Excellence category, Stagecoach UK Bus is nominated for its Gold service while Stagecoach Yorkshire is nominated for its Creating Bus Passenger Growth in Sheffield strategy, Stagecoach West is nominated for its Greener Journeys campaign and Stagecoach East Kent & East Sussex is shortlisted for its Canterbury Triangle service.
Stagecoach London has two drivers – Frank Tumfo and Yvette Tomlin – in the running for the Top London Bus Driver Award.
In addition, Stagecoach has been shortlisted for the Putting Customers First Award for its Citylink Gold operation which is a joint venture between Stagecoach and international transport group ComfortDelGro.
Stagecoach Bluebird’s Jet 727 Service, which links Aberdeen City Centre with Aberdeen Airport, is a finalist in the Making Buses A Better Choice category, while Stagecoach West’s Route 66 service, between Oxford, Faringdon and Swindon, is in the running for the Eureka! Award for Marketing Initiatives.
Stagecoach UK Bus Managing Director Les Warneford said: “It’s extremely pleasing to have so many of our people and our companies nominated for these awards. To have such a high number of shortlisted entries is also a real credit to all of our staff across our business who work incredibly hard to provide good value, high quality bus services for our passengers.
“We will continue to strive to attract even more people to our greener, smarter services.”
The full list of Stagecoach finalists is as follows:
- Sarah Anderson, Stagecoach East Scotland, Bluebird and Highlands (Young Manager of the Year Award)
- Graeme Leslie, Stagecoach Bluebird (Young Manager of the Year Award)
- Stagecoach Group, Sustainability Strategy (Environment Award)
- Stagecoach in Oxfordshire, Introducing Electric Hybrid Buses (Environment Award)
- Stagecoach West, Route 66 (Eureka! Award for Marketing Initiatives)
- Stagecoach Group, Stagecoach Smart (Innovation Award)
- Stagecoach Bluebird, Jet 727 Service (Making Buses A Better Choice Award)
- Stagecoach East Kent&East Sussex, The Canterbury Triangle (Marketing Excellence Award)
- Stagecoach UK Bus, Stagecoach Gold (Marketing Excellence Award)
- Stagecoach West, Greener Journeys (Marketing Excellence Award)
- Stagecoach Yorkshire, Creating Passenger Growth in Sheffield (Marketing Excellence Award)
- Stagecoach UK Bus, Citylink Gold (Putting Passengers First Award)
- Stagecoach East, X5 Service (Top Express Operation Award)
- Stagecoach East Scotland, Fife Express Operation (Top Express Operation Award)
- Stagecoach in Oxfordshire, Oxford Tube (Top Express Operation Award)
- Stagecoach South West, Torbay Depot (Top National Bus Depot Award)
- Stagecoach West Scotland, Kilmarnock Depot (Top National Bus Depot Award)
- Stagecoach Manchester (Top City Operator Award)
- Stagecoach East Midlands (Top Shire Operator Award)
- Stagecoach South (Top Shire Operator Award)
- Stagecoach West (Top Shire Operator Award)
- Frank Tumfo, Stagecoach London (Top London Bus Driver Award)
- Yvette Tomlin, Stagecoach London (Top London Bus Driver Award)
For further information about Stagecoach UK Bus, visit www.stagecoachbus.com
For media enquiries, please contact: Stagecoach Group Communications on 01738 442111 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTES TO EDITORS
- Stagecoach Group is a leading international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, United States and Canada. The company employs around 35,000 people, and operates bus, coach, rail, and tram services.
- Stagecoach is one of UK’s biggest bus and coach operators. Around 2.5 million passengers travel on Stagecoach's 8,100 buses every day on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The company's business includes major city bus operations in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Manchester, Oxford, Sheffield and Cambridge.
- Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast inter-city rail franchise.
- Stagecoach also operates the Supertram network in Sheffield.