£70 million investment programme gets the thumbs up from rail passengers
28 Jun 2012
- Satisfaction up in 28 categories in latest independent passenger survey
- Significant increases in station facilities and train services
- Train cleanliness, punctuality and station car parking all rated highly
- Staff availability and helpfulness also show marked improvements
Passengers have given the thumbs up to East Midlands Trains today (28 June) with the latest independent passenger survey showing that satisfaction with the Stagecoach-owned train operator is continuing to grow.
The results of the survey, released today by national transport watchdog Passenger Focus, show overall satisfaction has shown a year on year increase to 87%, and satisfaction has increased in 28 of the 33 categories judged by passengers.
The highest increases in passenger satisfaction relate to station facilities and the condition of the train fleet, representing East Midlands Trains’ significant investment in this area.
Overall satisfaction with stations increased by 3% to 85%, marking the train operator’s highest ever level of satisfaction with stations. In addition, passengers rated car parking facilities very highly, with satisfaction increasing by 9% year on year. Since the start of its franchise, East Midlands Trains has introduced over 1,200 new car parking spaces at its stations, and last month opened a brand new 950-space multi-storey car park at Nottingham station.
Train cleanliness also scored very highly in the latest survey, with overall satisfaction in this area increasing by 4% to 82%. Exterior train cleanliness increased by 5% year on year, whilst satisfaction with interior cleanliness went up from 79% to 83%.
One of the highest increases in satisfaction related to the upkeep and repair of East Midlands Trains’ fleet of trains. 85% of passengers said they were satisfied with this aspect of their service, marking an 8% year on year increase and representing East Midlands Trains’ £30 million fleet investment programme.
East Midlands Trains’ employees were also rated highly in the survey. Passenger satisfaction increased in all six areas directly related to employees, with helpfulness and availability of staff all showing a marked increase.
David Horne, Managing Director for East Midlands Trains, said: "It’s great news to see that our multi-million pound investment programme is continuing to make a big difference to our passengers.
"Our £30 million fleet investment programme is now drawing to a close, and this has delivered improvements to every single train we operate, and is clearly having a huge impact on our passengers.
"It’s even more pleasing to see some of the impressive increases in satisfaction with the helpfulness and availability of our people. We’ve always felt that our people are at the heart of the service we provide and it is pleasing to see this recognised by our passengers."
For more information about East Midlands Trains, visit www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk
For a full copy of the Spring 2012 National Passenger Survey, visit www.passengerfocus.org.uk
Notes to Editors
For media enquiries, please contact East Midlands Trains on 01738 442111. Out of office hours: An on-call service operates for urgent media enquiries out of hours. To access this service, please call 08448 222888 and quote MEDIA1. Please leave a short message, including your name, media organisation, phone number and the nature of your enquiry. The on call press officer will then return your call.
East Midlands Trains
- East Midlands Trains, part of the Stagecoach Group, runs fast, frequent trains from and to London St Pancras International and key UK destinations throughout the East Midlands, including Leicester, Derby, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester and Liverpool.
- East Midlands Trains is currently investing over £40 million to improve stations across its network and every single passenger train within its fleet.
- East Midlands Trains is committed to offering great value fares. Use the Best Fare Finder to search for cheap train tickets and book cheap train tickets to London and on more than 400 routes across the UK.
- Looking for inspiration on top things to do on the East Midlands Trains' network? Visit Top Things To Do in UK for a range of ideas. Save money on your rail journey with the latest train deals and special offers and discount online.
- Stagecoach Group is a leading international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, United States and Canada. The company employs 35,000 people and operates bus, coach, rail, and tram services.
- Stagecoach is one of UK’s biggest bus and coach operators. Around 2.5 million passengers travel on Stagecoach's 7,700 buses every day on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The company's business includes major city bus operations in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Manchester, Oxford, Sheffield and Cambridge.
- Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast inter-city rail franchise.
- Stagecoach also operates the Sheffield tram network.
- In North America, Stagecoach operates around 1,900 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. Budget coach service megabus.com links around 80 key locations in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter and transit services, as well as tours, charters, sightseeing tours and a small number of school bus services.
East Midlands Trains,
1 Prospect Place,
Derby DE24 8HG