Stagecoach Group in UK top 10 for corporate reputation
06 Dec 2013
- Bus and rail operator also rated Britain’s most admired transport group
- High ranking for management, innovation, environmental responsibility
- Management Today survey of nearly 250 companies across 26 sectors
Stagecoach Group is one of the top 10 most admired businesses in the UK, according to an authoritative annual survey of corporate reputation.
The transport group, which operates bus and rail services in the UK and North America, was rated 6th out of nearly 250 businesses across 26 sectors in the Britain’s Most Admired Companies (BMAC) 2013 Awards.
Stagecoach - which was ranked above well-known businesses including Marks and Spencer, easyJet, Whitbread and Rolls-Royce - was also voted the top transport operator in the survey.
The Perth-based group has consistently been rated well ahead of its bus and rail group peers in Management Today’s annual review of Britain’s top companies.
In conjunction with Birmingham City Business School, Management Today asked Britain’s largest public companies to rate their peers using nine measures on a scale of zero to 10.
Criteria include financial soundness, community and environmental responsibility, value as a long-term investment, quality of goods and services, use of corporate assets, quality of marketing, innovation, ability to attract, develop and retain top talent, and quality of management.
Stagecoach achieved a Top 10 ranking for a number of individual criteria. It was rated joint third for community and environmental responsibility, fourth for innovation, eighth for its use of corporate assets and joint 10th for the quality of its management.
The table below shows the position in the full list and total score for each of the public transport groups surveyed:
Steven Stewart, Stagecoach Group’s Director of Communications, said: "Reputations have to be earned and we are delighted to have been recognised once again by our peers for the strength of our business.
“Delivering consistently on our strategy of sustainable growth has been down to many of the areas highlighted in the survey as our strengths: the quality of our management team, our track-record of innovation, wise use of our corporate assets, and our community and environmental responsibility.
“Stagecoach and the transport services we provide continue to make a major contribution to the economy and local communities, as well as delivering for both our customers and our investors. At the heart of our success is a great team of employees in the UK and North America and this latest recognition reflects the huge contribution they make every day."
The Britain’s Most Admired Company Award 2013 went to drinks company Diageo with a score of 73.63
For further information, please contact Stagecoach Group Communications on 01738 442111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTES TO EDITORS
- Stagecoach Group is a leading international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, United States and Canada. The Group employs around 36,000 people, and operates bus, coach, train, and tram services.
- Stagecoach is one of the UK’s biggest bus and coach operators with around 8,000 buses and coaches. Around 2.5 million passengers travel on Stagecoach's buses every day on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The Group’s business includes major city bus operations in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Manchester, Oxford, Sheffield and Cambridge. Low-cost coach service, megabus.com, operates between around 60 towns and cities across the UK.
- Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast rail franchise.
- Stagecoach also operates the Supertram light rail network in Sheffield.
- In North America, Stagecoach operates around 2,600 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. Megabus.com links around 120 key locations in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter and transit services, contracted bus services, charters, sightseeing tours and a small number of school bus services.