Stagecoach appoints new Managing Director of Merseyside and South Lancashire bus operations
01 Dec 2016
Stagecoach announced today (1 December 2016) that it has appointed a new Managing Director of its bus operations in Merseyside and South Lancashire.
Rob Jones, currently Operations Director of Stagecoach Merseyside and South Lancashire, will become Managing Director of the business with effect from today (1 December). Previous Stagecoach Merseyside and South Lancashire Managing Director Elisabeth Tasker is now Managing Director, Stagecoach Manchester.
Rob Jones began his career in the bus industry 26 years ago as a cleaner with a local bus company aged just 15. He gained his PCV licence and since then, has held a number of management positions including Operations Manager for Stagecoach North West during which time he won the Young Manager of the Year Award at the 2008 UK Bus Awards.
In 2010, he joined Stagecoach West Scotland as Operations Director and in 2012, he took on the role of General Manager of one of Stagecoach’s depots during the London Olympic Games, delivering transport for athletes and media representatives. Rob was appointed Operations Director, Stagecoach Merseyside and South Lancashire in 2013.
Stagecoach Merseyside and South Lancashire delivers more than 42million passenger journeys a year on a fleet of more than 400 vehicles. The company employs around 1200 staff across four depots and operates almost 18million miles every year.
The company has been instrumental in the introduction of the Merseyside Bus Alliance along with partners Merseytravel and Arriva. The Alliance is helping deliver new services, coordinated networks, improved smart ticketing and further investment in new vehicles to boost services for existing customers and attract even more people on to bus travel.
Robert Montgomery, Stagecoach UK Bus Managing Director, said: “I would like to congratulate Rob on his promotion. His experience over 26 years in the transport industry, and, in particular, as an Operations Director for the past six years, will stand him in good stead to take on this role. I believe Rob has the skills and experience to deliver growth and further customer improvements as well as developing the relationships he has already established to drive forward partnership working and further raise the standards of bus travel in Merseyside and South Lancashire.”
Rob Jones said: "I am delighted to be taking on this role at a company I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of for the past few years. We have a great team of employees and I look forward to working with them, and our local partners, to continue delivering high-quality, affordable bus travel and excellent customer service for the millions of people that rely on our services every year.”
For media enquiries, please contact: Stagecoach Group Communications on 01738 442111 or email email@example.com
NOTES TO EDITORS
- Stagecoach Group is an international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, the United States and Canada. Stagecoach carries around 3 million passengers a day across its transport businesses. The Group employs around 39,000 people, and operates around 13,000 buses, coaches, trains and trams.
- Stagecoach is one of the UK's biggest bus and coach operators with around 8,500 buses and coaches. The Group’s business includes major city bus operations in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Manchester, Oxford, Sheffield and Cambridge. Low-cost coach service, megabus.com, operates a network of inter-city services across the UK.
- Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It has also partnered with Virgin to run the East Coast and West Coast inter-city rail franchises.
- Stagecoach operates the Supertram light rail network in Sheffield.
- In North America, Stagecoach operates around 2,400 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. megabus.com links around 130 key locations in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter, transit, contracted, charter, airport shuttle and sightseeing services.